Sunday, January 8, 2012

Birth story of Emma May...

39 weeks. (took this the night before i delivered)Apgar was 9 and 9! Just what the doctor ordered :)Happy mom and dad!!the nurse giving her a bath.Brandon texting our great news to the whole world :)Here is the traditional "It's a girl gum" and some pretty roses from Brandon


















My sisters and mom were all really excited!!! (no i didn't make them wear the masks, we are all kinda germ freaks!
Brandon bought a really cute book for the boys about being the big brothers!!






That above is as close as Porter would get to the baby, he was so shy. And Hunter was so cute he just sat there for 3 mins straight and was just patting her. (the nurse made him wear the mask, he had a cough)



Hunter is so observant he came in asking a million questions... mom what are you wearing, why are you in that bed, where are your pants, why are you crying ;) oh hunts....










Here is my sweet Emma May ready to come home!!



And now for the story...






December 29th, 2011



10:00 pm- (12-28-11) Went to the bathroom and noticed I lost my mucous plug.



10:30 pm- took a shower and shaved my legs :)



11:00 pm- went to bed.



1:00 am- woke up with contractions and started to time them.



Yep they were 5 mins apart and the last 2 had brought me to tears. Also had gone to the bathroom and had the "bloody show".



1:30 am-woke Brandon up and he timed a few with me. I told him it was time to go in, so he called my mom to come over and sleep here with the boys.



2:00 am- Brandon jumped in the shower and I tried, through the pain, to gather up all our stuff.

then laid on the bed and was about in tears again.

My sweet husband gave me a wonderful blessing.

2:30 am- my mom showed up, i gave her a few directions and we were out the door. Brandon was about out of gas and asked me if we should stop to get some. I about screamed at him, and said go straight to the hospital. (good thing it is only about 2 miles away)



3:00 am- got checked in. It was like a movie scene. Brandon drove to the front and helped me out, i waddled inside dying from pain. They hurried and checked me in while Brandon parked the car and i was back into triage in about .2 secs. :)



Changed into the gown and by this time I can't remember how long things were or the time. But all I know is the first thing I said after the nurse checked me was "when can I get my epidural"!!! When she checked me I was at a 5 already and 90 % effaced. The contractions were sending me through the roof. Poor Brandon and that poor nurse, I was screaming. I kept grabbing Brandon's hand and saying " help me, please brandon help me and take this pain away" It was horrible and I though I was dying!! I would want to sit up then lay down, then I had to pee, then turn on my side. Oh my gosh nothing was helping. I was trying so hard to breathe through them, but I wasn't prepared for that. I never read up on 'natural' birth or took a class or nothing. So how was I suppose to know. I chose to scream instead :)

Finally I got to my L&D room and the CRNA came in to give me my epidural. First of course she had to ask me a million questions and I wanted to tell her to shut up and get on with it, but of course I didn't. She was so slow and I was trying so hard to hold still while she placed it. poor Brandon was holding my head and standing up and as soon as she stuck that needle in my back he had to sit down and the nurse went to get him juice. So I was left there to hold still with just a pillow, ugh! Then she couldn't get the catheter to advance and after the 3rd one it was finally in.

Oh my gosh, it worked like a charm!!!

The nurse checked me right after the epidural and I was at an 8!!



I was feeling good and asked Brandon if he wanted to play cards. We decided resting would be a smarter choice. :)



5:00 ish- she checked me and said I was at a 9 and 100% effaced. She even broke my water. She was the best L&D nurse, I loved her.



Then Doctor Huish came in, I LOVE him!! he was suppose to go out of town that morning and came to the hospital first to deliver me. I was so happy.



the delivery was absolutely amazing, it was so different than my first one. I had 4 contractions and pushed 12 times and sweet Emma May joined our little family at 6:16 am. It was fast but it was the best experience. I felt the pain but got to enjoy the delivery too. I feel so incredibly blessed. It was so intimate and special. I had a mirror and was able to see the whole thing. Doc Huish talked so soft and was so wonderful and patient. Brandon was so encouraging and kept telling me how wonderful I was doing. It was just Doc H, Brandon on one side and my nurse on the other. With the baby nurse in the corner waiting. When Doc Huish put my sweet baby on my chest, I was overwhelmed with emotion and love for her. How grateful I am to have this sweet baby and so grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves me and has entrusted her in my care. I am so blessed to be a mom and to have had such a 'Perfect' experience. being a mom is the best.



also I didn't tear or need stiches or anything, that is a plus!



I ended up being GBS positive and because my delivery was so fast they didn't have time to give me all the antibiotics. So our sweet girl had to stay 48 hrs in the hospital. It was a special time for her and I to bond and have alone time. Brandon was able to stay with us too which made it extra special. I have such a wonderful husband who has picked up all the slack the past week and a half. He has cooked, cleaned, done the laudry and taken care of the boys. I have been able to just enjoy my sweet baby girl. Also of course my mom has been such a blessing and is always there for us. Also my wonderful sis in law Steph took the boys for 2 nights in a row, she is so patient and wonderful. I have had the best past week ever, i feel so emotional and have so much love in my heart for my children. I am one lucky lady.



and all I can say is.... One baby is cake! ;)

3 comments:

Meagan Leavitt said...

Shanna!!!!! She is so super cute! Awww....what is with me? I want another girl so bad! But not for a while.:) Congratulations!

Brooke Fenn said...

Thanks for making me cry! And start to spaz a little already about the birth of my next baby (I'm already afraid of the pain). She is super cute. Can't wait to come see you and her.

Jenni said...

She is gorgeous! I loved reading your story, you are so funny! I can't believe she came so fast! I was GBS positive, and I think those antibiotics in my arm hurt more than the contractions, so lucky you! Glad she is healthy and happy though!!