Grandma Abel had been sick in the hospital since about April. She first went to Banner Baywood for awhile, after she was in Scottsdale at another hospital. She is such a fighter. She came home on Hospice at the end of June and passed on July 2nd, 2009. I had the opportunity to help care for Grandma for about a month while I was in school. She was in the same hospital, same floor, & same wing where I was doing my clinicals. It was nice to be able to go in on my break and just visit with her. I have only known her for 5 years but what an amazing lady. She is the most kind person you could ever meet. She would never say a bad thing about any one. She has been on 5 missions and always dedicated her life to the service of the Lord. She is a wonderful example to me and I hope to be more like her. The first time I met her BC and I were just dating. She was on a mission in Salt Lake. We went to her little apartment and she was so kind and inviting. She went straight for the kitchen and made us breakfast. She is always thinking about others. Even in the hospital we would be helping her and she would always ask "are you guys okay". Even though she was the one in pain.***
Even though it is sad to see her go I know she is in a better place. Awaiting her on the other side was her husband who has been gone for 37 years, 2 children and 1 grandchild. I was telling BC I wish they had video cameras in Heaven so we could see the reunion. I am sure it was miraculous!
We were able to spend some time with her before she passed and that was nice and peaceful. I also got to help dress her in her temple clothes for the funeral. She looked beautiful we did her make up and I even filed her nails. Her funeral was so nice and everyone did a wonderful job. I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pics.
***
Grandma, Grandma did you know we love you so
We love your smile and your twinkling eyes
and the way you hold me close.
Grandma, Grandma did you know your lots of fun
We love to stay with you
We love to play with you
Grandma your number one, yeah
Grandma your number one, yeah!!!
(this song is so cute all the grandkids sang it at the funeral, Brandon's Aunt who died 13 years ago wrote it)
Grandma we love you and will miss you dearly!
Grandma we love you and will miss you dearly!

2 comments:
what a tender and sweet post! I will definitely miss grandma but I am glad she is pain free and enjoying a very happy reunion:)! Next week Wed. sounds great for a playdate, anywhere is fine for me as well. And as far as help.....if you are able to, i might see if you can make a dessert, but I iwll give you a call and let you know, thank you! Your so sweet and thoughtful!
So fuuny that we both did a similar post ending with the song. Great minds think a like!
Post a Comment