Monday, November 15, 2010

Bitter-Sweet.


The past few weeks have been hard for us. Brandon got a call from the owner of PB's with the devastating news, that we knew would be coming shortly... there is no more work. He is in the process of completing the LDS church down in St. David, but after his job would be coming to an end. We have been struggling to know and just thinking about what we were going to do. I have been really discouraged with the fact that I have an awesome degree but can't find a job. I have applied to over 100+ jobs and have not even got one response. It is bad out there! We were even looking out of state. Brandon has always had a dream of being a firefighter, but going that direction would be a long road and no promise of a job. His uncle is the Chief in Tucson and promised him an interview but not till December of 2011. Although this is his dream he always says he would rather support his family then play that game. I am so so grateful for Brandon, he is such a hard worker and I know he will always find a way to support his family. He is so smart and the owners at PB's had so many nice things to say and they are so supportive. As we have been praying for guidance, our prayers have been answered. With a heavy heart Brandon will be leaving Porter Brothers and be starting the Monday after Thanksgiving as a Superintendent for Damage Control Restoration! We are excited that he won't have to travel anymore and that he will be home for dinner every night, I couldn't be more grateful.

When we lived out in Johnson Ranch Brandon was the ward clerk, therefore working with the bishopric. He became close to a part owner of Damage Control, Derek Bradshaw. He asked BC a couple years ago to leave Porter's and come work with him. We would never have left Porter's unless we had to, so obviously he said no. Well when we knew his job was coming to an end he called Derek. Yesterday he went in for an interview with 2 owners and a PM. They told him they would let him know later in the week who got the job. (they had a few other interviews) Brandon headed down to PB's office to talk with DP and GP (owners) and just wanted to tell them he did not want to leave. As some tears were shed they were very sad to tell Brandon to take the job, they just didn't have any work left. While they were talking BC's phone rang and it was Derek telling him they wanted him for the job. He had a good feeling and told him yes. GP told Brandon if he is ever out of work and Porter's gets work again he will hire him back in a heartbeat.

Brandon called to tell me he accepted the job and I started to cry. I love Porter Brother's more than I ever thought! They are the best company and have just become like family to us. You would never meet more honest, caring, supportive, and hard working men than those at PB's. Although we are extremely sad to be leaving I personally hope someday we will be back with them.

I am so grateful that he found a job through this horrible economy. I could never express the overwhelming love I have for Brandon. He is so good at what he does and is just such a hard worker (I can't say that enough). I am so grateful, he has made a good name for himself. I know I owe a lot of that to Porter's for teaching him so much and of course to his mom and dad for teaching him to be a hard worker. I am just so so grateful!!! We will be taking a pay cut but not by much. He also will get a cell phone and a truck! Another good thing with Damage Control is that he has the opportunity to move up in the company, so that's a plus! Now if I could just find something...


I am so grateful for my Savior who has been our friend, healer, peace , advocate during these hard times. I would be lost without the gospel.

4 comments:

Cluff Family said...

I didn't know any of this was going on. Hope Brandon loves his new job. We miss you guys and hope you have a fantastic holiday season!

Kim said...

We have/are having our struggles with this economy too. I'm so glad Brandon found a job though. Jobs for nurses aren't really any easier to find out here in the Bay Area, but I had better luck with surgery centers (especially on craigslist). Have you tried that? It's not the nursing I want to do for the rest of my life, but it will give me the experience I need to get hired on at a hospital. Anyway it is just a suggestion. Good luck!
-Kim and Ryan Merrell

Marisa said...

Congratulations! I know how stressful that situation could be. PS: I know someone is quitting the post partum unit at Banner Gateway... check it out!

Gina Moody said...

Wow Shan! It is hard to imagine Brandon anywhere but with PB's!! I'm so glad he found something else though. We are coming back in a week, so we need to get together!! I just signed a 6 month contract with PCH, so I will be in Az until June for sure!